Join Our Team
Careers & Internships
Structural Design Engineer
STRUCTURAL DESIGN ENGINEER with a minimum of ten years of post-graduate experience related to the analysis and design of steel, masonry, concrete, and wood structures. Must be capable of taking a project design from conception to bid documents – define building structural requirements, define and calculate anticipated loads, define and analyze structural options, prepare plans and detail drawings, prepare specifications, review shop drawings, and respond to RFIs. Proficiency with RAM Elements, RAM Structural System, and AutoCAD is required as is sound knowledge of relevant codes including IBC, AISC, ACI, NDS, and ASCE. Professional engineering licensure in at least one state with the ability to secure licensure in New York State within three months is mandatory. Proficiency with Revit is a plus. The location of employment is Watertown, Ithaca, Saratoga Springs, or Rochester, NY.
BCA Architects & Engineers works with a variety of client types including K-12, higher education, government, healthcare, airports, and local communities. We are seeking civil engineers for our Watertown, NY office. The preferred candidate is design focused, enjoys working with a team of architects and engineers, and thrives on active participation in internal site team design reviews. Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering Certification is required. The position will include work at the local office, but periodic, short-term travel to our other New York offices may occasionally be required.
- Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering (or Civil Engineering Technology) with a concentration in Structural Engineering and/or interested in municipal water and wastewater project design
- Five plus years of experience
- Excellent verbal, written and graphic communication skills
- Self-starter with ability to work both in groups and alone as necessary
- A desire to not just design, but to develop creative solutions
- Focus and drive to learn
- Ability to multi-task
- Proficiency in AutoCAD Civil3D a plus
- Knowledge of BIM or Revit a plus
- Knowledge of structural design programs such as RAM Elements, ENERCALC, & LEAP Bridge Concrete a plus
- Fundamentals of Engineering Certification required
- PE a plus
The Project Manager is responsible for providing managerial leadership for the firm, while maintaining customer satisfaction. The Project Manager oversees the development and coordination of a project from inception to completion. The Project Manager’s specific duties may vary depending on the extent and capabilities of the project team.
- Manage project team to meet the project schedule and complete the project within both design and construction budget.
- Ensure that all project documentation is prepared, complete, and submitted on time (drawings, specs, submission forms, etc.).
- Monitor and report on project status to PIC and team members.
- Coordination of project team (including consultants) and all project documents. Responsible for regular coordination of all internal technical disciplines to ensure design objectives are met.
- Oversee BIM models relative to compliance with office standards for graphics, model structure, and data management.
- Oversee and/or prepare documentation for regulatory agency submissions to assure completeness and accuracy.
- Compile and coordinate all cost estimates by project team. Ensure overall project construction budget, including all “soft“ costs (administration, overhead, consulting, special services, etc.) is within the client’s anticipated budget.
- Where there is no designated individual for Construction Administration, represent the firm during this phase, including leading and documenting meetings, manage RFIs, payment apps, change requests, etc.
- Oversee and manage architectural production staff.
- Recruits, hires and trains staff.
- Evaluates employee performance and recommends or initiates promotions, transfers and disciplinary action.
- Accomplishes all other duties and tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in architecture required.
- Ten years of relevant experience preferred.
- Two years of relevant supervisory experience preferred.
- Active board licensure or professional certification required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of all principles of architecture.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, NewForma or similar.
- Extensive knowledge of modern building construction methods and materials and of the preparation of specifications.
- Team player with a positive attitude.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to perform duties at other than normal working hours and days as required by projects or tasks.
- A demonstrated ability to supervise and direct staff in meeting goals and deadlines.
- A demonstrated ability to achieve key objectives.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Leading a small team of construction inspectors and/or working independently on the construction site
- Mentoring/coaching young inspection team members
- Measuring and calculating quantities
- Documenting contractors work with daily work reports, photos, and sketches
- Oversight and coordination of contractors pay applications and change orders
- Ensuring work is completed to contract specifications
- Coordinating activities on the project site and resolve project related problems
- Maintaining project documentation and coordinating with client, contractor, and engineer
- Oversight and coordination with utility consultant’s inspection staff